Hesitantly at first, a deliberate rush of water trickled over a high parapet of sheer rock and in one continuous action, flowed steadily down the cliff face and dissipated as quietly and as softly as a whisper.
I stood back and a satisfying sigh escaped my lips… as right before my eyes, a peaceful waterfall was born!
I hardly dared to breathe but a few wilful seconds later, the gentle trickle transformed into a raging torrent of glistening light. The rock behind stood back and silent, almost invisible yet very supportive. I imagined an air space behind the curtain and the water leapt slightly forward to follow the contours of my whims. In my mind, the rocks behind became as malleable as putty.
I stood back to drink in the view, not quite sure or satisfied at this point that Mother Nature and I saw eye to eye but there was no going back.
Surging forward now I prepared for the plunge. The force and the volume of liquid ice sent mixed messages and I imagined a crescendo but in reality there was silence. Large splashes painted a giant punchbowl of foaming spray that danced and finally atomised into a hazy mist.
I stepped back again to take in the awe-inspiring sight of imagined movement of the flowing water.
The final strokes to still the reflection added depth to the water and depleted my paint brush of the last of the Titanium White.
Just testing my artistic licence to the full with no fear of penalty points. As Bob Ross said.... 'We don't make mistakes, they are just happy little accidents!'
The Joy of Painting inspired by a recent 'Bob Ross Style' painting class and my tribute blog to a great artist that still gives pleasure to all.
Inspired by Bob Ross Courses
Some of his quotes.
- The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.
- The trees are oh so soft, oh so soft I freakin’ love it.
- There’s nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.
- Trees cover up a multitude of sins.
- Try to imagine that you are a tree. How do you want to look out here?
- Water’s like me. It’s laaazy… Boy, it always looks for the easiest way to do things.
- We don’t make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.
- We tell people sometimes: we’re like drug dealers, come into town and get everybody absolutely addicted to painting. It doesn’t take much to get you addicted.
- We want happy paintings. Happy paintings. If you want sad things, watch the news.
- We’re gonna make some big decisions in our little world.
- Well, the little clock on the wall says we’re just about out of time. God bless you my friend.